Thursday, January 17, 2008

Return to the Airwaves!

By now the show has aired, but here's my belated report on the Crook & Chase show that taped today at the Grand Ole Opry House.

The show is taped in Studio A, which I know as the "Party Room" (Because they have schmooze fests there during big nights at the Opry House) but was actually the home to many TNN shows, as well as Hee Haw! The set was very simple, but versitile, and there was a live house band. All but one of the band members were from their Music City Tonight band.

It was old home week for me too - I of course looked around at all the TV crew, and four of them were my old crew from when I directed Predators hockey. So it was a nice bonus to catch up with them.

The show taped at 3pm, and it truly was live to tape -- they rolled the commercials right into it. I got there about 2:30ish, and picked out a nice safe back row seat behind the cameras. The audience was about half invited guests and half general public. Hopefully in future shows it will be more public - that way it's a little rowdier.

Lorianne & Charlie are such pros, it was cool to watch them work. It was very loose and fly-by-the-seat-of-your-pants -- they'd be like 20 seconds from coming back and they'd say - who's starting? I'll start. Ok. and they'd be back! The writer's strike won't be affecting these two!

I guess what y'all really want to hear about is his Garthness. After the intro / welcome from C&C, they introduced Garth and the backdrop they'd been standing in front of raised up, and there he was! He had Johnny, Mark, Mike and Dave playing with him, and they did "More Than A Memory."

After a break they had "couch time" with him which was mostly general chit chat and silliness, then Garth introduced George Jones, who came out. When he came out Garth first moved to the other end of the couch - way far away - and then went out and sat in the audience for a second, then finally sat next to him on the couch.

If you've ever been through the Country Music Hall of Fame you've seen the video of Garth talking about George, and the first time he met him in award show rehearsals, and how he couldn't talk to him. What you don't hear is George's side of the story -- he thought Garth was stuck up! LOL

My notes from Garth's portion of the show:

Lorianne asked him about how he prepared for his back to back to back shows in LA, what kind of food he'd be eating. "In L.A.? In & Out Burger. Anna's. Pizza, burgers - do you think it's easy to stay this big?" (Someone's going to have to explain to me what In & Out Burger is.

Other things you'll hear when watching this show:

Laundry: The secret to "pillow case putting on" and what he absolutely can't fold.
Troy Aikman: "Winning three Super Bowls wasn't enough for him, he's got to go out and save the planet."
His opinion: "We can differ all you want, but this is my opinion, and it ought to be yours."

The show felt a little disjointed to me... after segment 2, Garth left, there was no closing or goodbye to him, but he never came back. At the end Lorianne said he had to get on a plane back to his girls. Really - would 30 more minutes have hurt? The other guests on the show were the Oak Ridge Boys (who sang "Bobbie Sue" and one from their latest album "Did I Make A Difference" - google those lyrics if you don't know it, it's awesome!) and George Jones' daughter Georgette (with Tammy) who performed a song.

They talked about a movie Georgette was making where she played her mother, and they showed a picture, but never gave the name / timeline or any details. It sounded interesting. They were supposed to show some photos she brought from her personal photo album, but they had trouble getting them up, not sure if they will be edited in later or not.

There I go back seat producing again. It's a disease.

It was very cool that Garth took the time during the breaks to go over and say hello and hug people he knew - Lorianne's mom was there, someone in the band... no one else was doing that. The cutest though was an interaction he had with someone I didn't know in the audience...

They called out to him and he turned and said hello and was obviously pleased to see them. He said "Did you go to Kansas City?" And I could see them hold up their hands and he held up seven fingers and asked "seven?" Then he thumped his chest and held up nine fingers. "I was at nine." It was pretty cute.

This is a weekly show they are taping each Thursday in Studio A, and it airs each Thursday night at 8pm CT / Friday at 10am CT / Saturday 6pm CT. I'm very interested to see how it develops. It was very Leno-ish interview / performance based... not really any news / topical stuff. They told us it airs on DirecTV Channel 379 and Dish Network Channel 231. The audience co-ordinator started suggesting people write to Comcast to get RFD carried in Nashville and they interupted him to say that the Comcast guy was in the audience, and it would be coming soon.

If you are in Nashville and go out to the show, I recommend sitting in the balcony. The floor seating is all level, and the stage is really wide, so unless you are dying to be on camera and want to be in the first couple of rows, I'd say go high.

Let me know if you saw the show air tonight and what you thought of it.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

As always, thanks for the scoop J! I sooo wish I had this channel, not only to see Garth, but I use to love watching the Crook & Chase show. Hope more details come out, I'm dying to know! But until then, what can't he fold? lol :)

Anonymous said...

Awesome scoop, girl! Thanks so much... can't wait to see it. I am just so happy they are back!

And I'll try to Overnight you an In & Out Burger from LA. I mean... it won't beat the salsa... but I'll give it a shot. :) It's just a local West Coast burger joint that everyone swears by. Like Sonic... without the tater tots... er something. I'll try it... just for you... even though I stopped eating meat that moos.

Woot!

Anonymous said...

I went to a friends house and made dinner for her and her kids so I could watch C & C on her Directv. My friend didn't know who C&C were and when they said they had be together for 25 years, she said it looks like the set has been too. Really only watched the Garth segments, was hoping he would hint about some of the possible surprise guests at next weeks shows but no such luck.

In-n-Out Burgers are the best. Order a double-double with fries.

DaveBrz said...

Watching what I missed earlier and I thought is was fun show. Don't think I can add much more but they did show a few photos.

Producer J. said...

Marissa -- Fitted Sheets!

Unknown said...

I saw the show and thought it was great! I am soo happy they are back! It is great that they have basically the same set up and band as the Music City Tonight show. They were wonderful with the guests as always. How cool was Garth? He rocked and I loved when he went to sit on the opposite end of the couch and then in the audience for a second after George Jones came out. Loved the story of how they first met and how George thought he was just stuck up at first. LOL! The Oaks were wonderful as well. And I was blown away by George and Tammy's daughter - great voice and gees she resembles her mom.

Anyway - great show. I am looking forward to many more. Thanks for the scoop J!

Heather

Anonymous said...

Cool J! I need to move. :)

Producer J. said...

Gee... I wonder why I never thought of suggesting that...

Anonymous said...

Oh, fitted sheets!
I can't fold those either.
Thanks J!

Anonymous said...

Folding fitted sheets is an art!! LOL

I can see what you meant about the show. It didn't flow. I think they need to get a smaller coffee table. :)

Loved the show tho'!! C&C are great.

They did show the pictures that Georgette brought. And I wondered about the project. They didn't elaborate on it.

All in all I will watch it on a regular basis!!!

Jona said...

Thanks for the scoop, J. very cool. I have only seen a couple of C&C shows (all with Garth of course) but I think they are great hostes. :)

Anonymous said...

C'mon, GB, I'm 5'6" and can fold king sized sheets easily, you're 6'1" and shouldn't have any problems. Just tuck the corners lenthwise, then in half , adn then half again. Easy peasy ;)