Monday, January 01, 2007

Chiefs Are IN!

We interrupt your regularly scheduled Country Music-related chatter to bring you this exciting sports bulletin.

Here's a fun way to spend your New Year's Eve. Go to a gym... in Nashville... while the Titans are playing... for a playoff spot... get on a treadmill in front of the TV... and cheer for the other team.

I don't follow the NFL through the season, but yesterday was quite the exciting day, even for a non-sports lover like me. Hubby is a Chiefs fan. For those who don't follow the NFL, it all came down to a bunch of teams fighting for one wild-card playoff spot to be decided yesterday. In order for the Chiefs to get in, they had to beat Jacksonville, Cincinnati had to loose, the Titans had to loose - at home, Denver had to loose - at home, and it had to rain in Phoenix.

Ok, maybe the weather wasn't a factor.... But there were a lot of conditions, and it wasn't looking good for the Chiefs.

Chiefs and Jags were playing at the same time the Titans were playing New England, so we didn't get to watch that game, but it did make my time on the treadmill go much faster as I was pissing off everyone else in the gym by cheering for the Patriots. I'm sure the fact that I was running next to a guy in a Chiefs sweatshirt helped paint the picture.

The games started wrapping up... the scores started coming in...the Bengals lost... the Chiefs won... and the Titans lost (hee hee hee). Later that night the last spot was decided in a nail-biter that came down to an OT field goal - the Denver Broncos lost at Mile High. (Which probably has some corporate name to it by now, but whatever.)

Chiefs are in the playoffs! Playing against local favorite Peyton Manning no less, just up the road in Indy. It was a good day at the Rizer house.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled Country Music Related blog.

The only glimpse of anything remotely Country I could find on the New Year's Eve celebrations last night was Rascal Flatts on ABC. And that is debateable. I did find it amusing that the Lyric Street group was on an ABC show performing a song from a Disney movie. Talk about keeping it all in the family!

Happy 2007 to you and yours!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm so happy our Patriots were able to help in your celebration...

Can't say that I follow football either, but I do participate in our office pool (where I choose my teams based on what team I pick out of a box).

Didn't see the New Year come in so I missed RF's performance...darn it.:p

Happy New Year to all!

Paula

Anonymous said...

I don't know anything about football and want to keep it that way..LOL!

Wishing everyone all the best in 2007!

Pam said...

I was pulling for the Titans to get a playoff berth but didn't really expect them too.

Not quite sure who that was playing against the Packers yesterday but it wasnt the Chicago BEars ROFL.

We spent the weekend at a cabin away away from Gamecubes, Computers and phones. IT WAS WONDERFUL !!!

Anonymous said...

The New Orleans Saints are not only in the playoffs but have a bye the first round. I am a nonsports person myself but with a husband and two sons that eat, sleep, and live sports, it's kind of hard for me not to know about all those things.

Happy 2007 everyone!

Anonymous said...

Not a sports fan...

BUT..
I know Rascal Flatts are a huge success. I like their music.
Question... Does anyone else think that Gary could use singing lessons to learn how to stay in tune singing live?

Unknown said...

Colts & Titans fan here (just don't tell anyone up here)... Watching the Bears game with my family was painful as heck... although you're right Pam, I don't know who exactly was playing. Brett Farve is still a hottie (that's going to get me shot up here too)

The Garrison Kellier (sp?) thing from the Ryman on PBS was kinda cool... merely because there was a whole lot of bluegrass (and Jon Randall - drool). Other than that, NOTHING was on that mattered in the least. The Big & Rich whatever it was - hurt my soul. Although it had to be better than RF.

Anonymous said...

I wish everyone a happy 2007 too :)

Jona

Anonymous said...

Happy 2007 from wet Oregon. Imagine that. :P

I'm missing all sorts of t.v., but having a blast!