Sunday, January 07, 2007

Musical Motivation

Working at XM is like having your own personal jukebox. When I'm in a rut at work and need a pick me up there are certain songs I pull up and just CRANK, and I'm feeling uplifted in no time.

I've decided I need to put together a CD of my favorite "pick me up" songs to take to the gym. This time of year, I spend more time on the treadmill than the pavement, and it bores me silly. So y'all are going to help me come up with 45 minutes of musical motivation. You guys know my musical tastes by now. So the only real rule is: no Toby.

Actually... I might break that. "Piece of Work" - his duet with Buffett - might make it.

Starting with my favorites to crank up in the studio, some 1st round contenders include:

A Feelin' Like That - Gary Allan
Brown Eyed Girl - Buffett
We Shall Be Free / Beaches of Cheyenne / Two Pina Coladas - Garth
Bed of Roses / Do You Know You Are My Sunshine - Statlers
She Couldn't Change Me - MG

On a completely unrelated note... I almost never watch tv, which is very wierd since I have a degree in the field. I just don't have time. (Someday, I'm gonna figure out what the thing is I need to buy so I can get an internet connection in my living room, and I'll get TiVo, and y'all may never see me again.) However, in the movie theater last week I saw the previews for a new NBC reality show that looked really good - the casting of Grease, for a Broadway revival.

I don't normally do reality shows, and hate how contrived they are. I've seen a total of maybe 10 minutes of American Idol. But this was set in NYC... it's Broadway... good music... I've been excited about it ever since. As was Delaynie, who loves NYC as much as I do.

Let's just say... I was underwhelmed with the first episode. Anyone else see it?

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Underwhelmed is a good word to use for it - I was excited to see the show after all the promos I saw for it over Christmas. I am a reality TV junkie and compared to other shows of the same genre (So You Think You Can Dance, American Idol) this one was one big yawn. Its bad when you find yourself not caring who gets chosen part way through the very first episode LOL. But I'll give it another try next week.

Karen (in Winnipeg)

Anonymous said...

A song who gives me energy, and make me run faster, when it comes on my iPod, while I'm out running, is "Callin' Baton Rouge". :)

Jona

Pam said...

Watchin You Rodney Atkins
So Am I Trent Willmon
Somebody Like You Keith Urban
Drinkin Thinkin George Canyon
Time For Goodbye George Canyon
A Little Bit Of Life Craig Morgan
The More I Feel Like Rockin Tracy Byrd
Texans Hold 'Em Ty England
country Is My rock Trent Tomlinson
Nothin But A Love Thing Darryl Worley

Anonymous said...

I defy you to not be motivated to move the feet on the TM if you put Dwight Yoakam's "Fast As You" and that "Gone" thing in your Ipod.

"What I'd Say" gets me going too.

Anonymous said...

I did watch too. They went through the casting picks like a house on fire... (Not as big of a budget as Idol I'm guessing)

Once the core people are picked I'll make my decision if I'm gonna stay with it. I have 4 other shows I watch on Sunday nights!!!

Anonymous said...

Pistol :)

Unknown said...

I've kind of been refusing to watch the Grease thing because I've gotten at least 10 comments from people saying "Oh, is that what you do for a living?". Yeah, not so much. I might try and catch it sometime just so I can be in the know. :) But I feel like the last thing I need in my life is watching a bunch of actors trying to get a role. :) But everyone else should enjoy it!

"Callin' Baton Rouge" gets me fired up also... as do "Ain't Goin' Down" & "Fever" and "Standing Outside the Fire". I'll have to figure out what is on my "gym ipod" and get back to ya... it does help so much when you're starting to drag though.

"Pistol" totally kicks my butt in gear!

by the by - GREAT PICTURE, J!

Anonymous said...

Not even How Do You Like Me Now?

I don't watch a lot of TV either, but I have watched American Idol the last couple of years and have watched Nashville Star since the beginning. The reviews I had seen for the Grease show hadn't been good, not that it would stop me from watching if I wanted to, but it's not something that I felt like checking out.

Paula

Anonymous said...

Toby makes me want to pull my hair out, so I guess that qualifies as exercise.

Anonymous said...

Goodbye Earl
Ready to Run
Some Days You Gotta Dance
Sin Wagon
Perfect Love

Producer J. said...

Some great suggestions y'all! Definately "Gone" and "Pistol." All uptempo Garth songs will be considered - except for Fever. Hate that one.

I actually do like How Do You Like Me Now. There are people I'd like to say that to... should I ever run into them in the grocery store of Farmington, IL. Heh heh heh.

Anonymous said...

I actually do like How Do You Like Me Now.

I thought so, based on your blog profile. :p

Paula

Anonymous said...

A few more:

Live to Love Another Day
Somebody Like You