Saturday, January 06, 2007

Garth on Ice

Once a year I get a pair of tickets to see my former employer, the Nashville Predators, play. Tonight was my night, but I wound up having to work. So hubby took Delaynie to the game, which wound up being ok since the Chiefs were getting their butts kicked and he didn't mind missing the end of the game.

Of course, as luck would have it, I missed the Garth Brooks Teammates For Kids night. I went to GarthBrooks.com looking for information. They haven't updated their news page since October 30th. Went to PlanetGarth and they haven't updated theirs since October 4th. So, you're going to have to make do with reporting from Gary and Delaynie, which was promted by me reading the program they brought home, which told about the event.

Me: Woah! The players wore patches on their uniform tonight for Garth's charity?

Gary: Oh yeah. There was a bunch of Garth stuff going on tonight. And they had a country girl singing the national anthem. The American Idol girl who sings about red shoes.

Me: Kellie Pickler?

G: Maybe. Did she win American Idol? I thought that was the unwed mother who wrecks the car on Christmas Eve.

Me: That's Carrie Underwood. Kellie didn't win. How'd she do on the anthem?

Delaynie: Oh she was great! She sounded like a professional.

Me: Well that's a good sign.

D: But she smiled way too much. She was very smiley. (Demonstrates enormous grin while holding a fake microphone and pretending to sing exaggeratedly.) The Star Spangled Banner isn't really a smiley song.

Me: Ok, so back to Garth... did they have Garth videos on the jumbotron?

D: Yeah, he came on the jumbotron and said "Hey everyone this is Garth Brooks. Something something something something... blah blah blah blah."

So there ya go. I know you probably don't need any more information than THAT, but just for fun... this is what's in the program:

Keep an eye out for the GB TFK patches being worn on the Predators jerseys tonight. The NHL and the NHLPA are working together to hekp kids in need through the 2007 GB TFK patch prgoram. During one select home game from 1/4 - 1/13, all players on each of the 30 NHL team rosters will wear a team jersey featuring a special GB TFK commermorative patch. After the game, each player will donate his jersey to the 2007 TFK Online Auction with proceeds benefiting the GB TFK Foundation. More than 600 game worn jerseys will be available for bidding at NHL.com and NHLPA-com.

It would be VERY cool if they'd sell those patches to us regular folk who can't afford jerseys, in exchange for a donation to TFK.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I noticed the Leafs had the patches on their jerseys last night too.
Ya I can just imagine what those jerseys are gonna go for....I've bid on jerseys for charity auctions before and let's just say I really like your idea for us regular folk.;)

Anonymous said...

That's been all over the hockey news as evidenced by the multiple Yahoo alerts I've been getting over the past few days. I beliee it was Sandi who posted one of the original articles in the PG Forums.

As for the PG home page and news updates, I haven't tried to put anything up there since our failed attempt to put something up there a couple of months ago. I never heard from the PTB on why we couldn't get the news item posted.

Paula

DaveBrz said...

Almost went to that game but decided to go home a day early but I wouldn't be surprised if those patches wind up somewhere for sale. Have seen it before

Anonymous said...

I'd love to be able to buy the patches...or go to Dallas... lmao.

Anonymous said...

That story is too funny!!
Do they know what you do for a living?? LOL
Also don't they KNOW that anything to do with Garth is to be reported verbatim?? LMAO!!!!