Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Define "New" ...

I love it when information starts leaking out about a project and the fans get all up in arms over things and there's no official word from anyone setting the record straight. It gives Detective J. something to do.

So reports from MCA say that the Trisha Yearwood Greatest Hits project contains two new songs. "But wait!" cry our fabulous listeners - Trisha told XM there was no new music on the CD!

Well she's right. And the record label is right. It really depends on how you define "new." In Trisha's world, her new music is on Big Machine, and that's what she's focusing on. Rightly so, IMHO. However, the label can make the case that if you haven't heard it, it's new to you! And I get that too. If I ever get around to renting Reba's TV show on DVD, they entire series will be new. To me! The two "new" songs, MCA tells me, are "overcuts" from previous Trisha albums, and of course, Trisha will not be doing any interviews etc. to promote the release.

At some point NEXT week, after the fact, remind me to tell you why I'm disappointed she's playing the Opry Saturday night.

On a completely unrelated note... a helpful hint for song requesting. When we get three emails in a row from variations of the same email addresses, requesting the same song - in the same request format - we're gonna figure out they're all coming from the same person. Even if you sign a different name to one of them. ;-)

I just finished editing the Joe Nichols XM WORLD PREMIERE that will air this weekend on Highway 16. This show was done on the road, at a restaurant in Pittsburgh, where I'm guessing, there were adult beverages being served. Some things, you can not fix in the edit. It's a good show, lots of scoop about his bride-to-be, who will have his last name before Garth Un-retires again.

Two nights in a row I've had dreams about this Garth shindig. Wierd. I don't normally dream about work, although I do still ocassionally have nightmares that take place in TV control rooms where I forget which buttons to push and send the evening news into chaos.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Again... I'm dying here. :D One of the "new" songs intrigues me, or I guess, both do, for different reasons. As do your dreams!!! And for once, that email is NOT from me. :D

I'm so listening to that Joe Nichols' Short Cuts. LOL

Skywise said...

more great commentary joyce!

Anonymous said...

Can't wait to hear why you are disappointed about TYs Opry appearance. I am too. So I guess we will find out next week if it is for the same reason.

DaveBrz said...

If I were to buy the CD, some of the songs would be new to my collection as I don't have all her records (I think)in my collection of CD's that I don't listen too much anymore (thanks to XM)

Guess it's time to go to plan B for sending in requests for new songs.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for all you do! Please get us all the info you can on Garth's new releases.

Will the videos on the DVD in fact be new? Will the In Another's Eyes video that was not released be included finally? Will Garth's website be updated soon? How will the handoff from Walmart be handled?

These are all questions on my mind. Again thanks for your work.

I hope that you are as excited about Garth's future plans as we are!

Anonymous said...

Hi, have fun at the Garth thing. Can ya ask him if there will be a new album and tour next year?

Pam said...

I really don't like Greatest Hits Collections. LOL Seems the lazy way to keep your name out there. But to each their own. And hmmm is Trisha catching Garth's disease......... Greatest Hits......new songs that arent really new, and no promotion for the CD?????

Producer J. said...

No, Trisha doesn't have Garth's disease there... that's all her OLD record label's doing.

And no, Sandi and Dave are both innocent of the requesting violations. :-D

Denise -- you can email me your reason at producerj at aol.com if you want to share, and I'll tell you if it's the same reason!

Anonymous said...

I'm looking forward to Joe Nichols XM World Premiere! :D