Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Tomorrow's Color: Blue

80% of my time is spent in mainstream country in some form or fashion... between US Country, Highway 16, and America. The other 20% is split up between bluegrass and americana, with the occasional public radio thing thrown in for good measure.

Tomorrow, I'm immersed in bluegrass. It's a big day in the Bluegrass world, as the IBMA announces their awards show nominees. The awards show itself (which happens in October) is always heard live on XM 14, Bluegrass Junction. And the nominations announcements will be heard live there tomorrow as well.

Kyle Cantrell will be anchoring a full morning of programming, including interviews with the nominees after the official announcements are made. The cool thing about bluegrass - versus mainstream country - is that they give us the nominees several days in advance. However, they slyly DIDN'T send us the special nominees, including Bluegrass Broadcaster of the Year. By this time tomorrow, I hope to be working with one of them. :-O I will say his nomination reel is darn good.

Amongst the artists on hand for the event that we're expecting to drop by: Show host Sam Bush, Doyle Lawson, Dale Ann Bradley, and several others that I've managed to forget.

Other random notes:

Sarah Johns was awesome. Gorgeous girl. What I would give to have hair like that! She's lots of fun and can curse like a sailor. I'd love to do a show of her outtakes.

If I was the biggest selling superstar in a particular genre of music... and I was going to have a press conference... that I felt was important enough to stream llive on my website.... in audio AND video.... I think I... personally... would be telling people about it... so they'd know that they'd need to be in front of their computer. Because people might have plans around lunch time on a weekend. And unless some random blogger told them... they wouldn't know that they should be at their computer... around lunchtime... on a weekend day...

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

WOW, thanks for sharing, J!!! I love you!!! :D

Anonymous said...

That superstar just can't decide if he wants attention or not, huh? ;-)

I'm interested in hearing the rest of Sarah Johns' album--I really don't like her current single, so hopefully the rest is a little different. :)

Anonymous said...

Love ya J!
So glad I have the weekend off, & I didn't even ask for it!

DaveBrz said...

J, What time are the announcements so I try and remember to tune in at work.

As for Sarah, I am too interested in hearing the album as I don't care for the current single and the 2 other songs on myspace after a quick listen.

Unknown said...

J - you just rock... that's for uh... not spreading the word :)

Of course, I'll be in a major tech rehearsal and probably unable to hear it - but ya'll will give me the details, right? :)

I like that Sarah Johns song - makes me laugh a bit. Or maybe I'd just like to give a lot of people in my life "the one in the middle". None of you, of course.

Woot!

Anonymous said...

You're the best J.:)

Anonymous said...

Hi there is no link on his webpage, garthbrooks.com

Do you have a link, and a time the press conference is on.

Thanks and Take Care.

Anonymous said...

I hope I'll be able to see and hear this, but I may not be near a computer when this takes place. I wonder if the event will be archived at the website so it can be viewed later. :-)

Paula

Anonymous said...

Oh...and good luck to Kyle.

I don't think I've heard Sarah Johns or, if I have, I didn't know who it was. Will have to check her out.

Paula

Anonymous said...

It is funny how that superstar would bother to put that press confrence up and yet not bother to tell anybody... very unlike that superstar! Even if you happened to be looking at that website you wouldn't even know it was going to be on! I guess they are doing in the hopes that nobody watches...
Oh well I guess it just be the lucky few who are lucky to have you on our side. Thanks!

Producer J. said...

As of yesterday afternoon they were still trying to get the technical end of things worked out, so I imagine they're trying to make sure it's really going to fly before they tell the world. But because I love y'all... I wanted you to at least be looking for it, since it's probably going to come down last minute.

Sarah's album is AWESOME - it's the best new artist album I've heard in quite a while. But I like the real country stuff - not fiddle / steel / tear in your beer country, but it's very gravel road, real country. Think a modern day Loretta Lynn.

And wow can she sing live!

Anonymous said...

Well hopefully the powers that be get their ducks in a row before the press confrence.

Unknown said...

love your blog J thanks for sharing what you can with us

Producer J. said...

We're under 48 hours now... SURELY something's gonna be out soon...