Monday, August 20, 2007

A Special Guest!

Songwriter Richie Brown - part of the team that gave us "Good Ride Cowboy" - popped into my little corner of cyberspace last night. In honor of his appearance, I'm reposting the part of my 2am Sunday Morning blog entry that talks about his cut on Garth's new project, along with Richie's comments, in case you're one of the people who doesn't go back and read the blog comments after you post.

So the new music. The party tonight played a lot of Garth hits the first couple of hours. Then it switched to Trisha music. Then Chris LeDoux. Keith Whitley. Steve Wariner. Then all of a sudden, Jon and I are up in this game room area, and we're like "hey, that's the Huey cut." So we wander out to the main part of the party, and sure enough, the next thing that comes on is "Midnight Sun."

Ok. Let me just say... if you are a fan of what I would call the "classic Garth" sound, you are gonna freakin' LOVE this song. It's uptempo, honky tonk, toe tapping, knee slapping Garth. This is the one he wrote with Richie Brown and Jerrod Neiman (whatever happened to his record?) I loved it. Seriously, it needs to be a single. In fact, I caught Scott Borchetta's eye across the room and zipped over to him and he says to me "THAT is a beeline." I said yes, this bee is coming over here to tell you Midnight Sun is THE one. Patted the heart, that's the hit. He seems a bit skeptical. Tells me there's lots to work with, and did I like "Leave the Light On"? I did, but by golly, I liked Midnight Sun better. Later I told Bob Doyle the same thing.

"Leave the Light On" is undoubtably going to be a hit, it's going to be the one the fans wrap their arms around and say "he's singing for us!" This was recorded in the mid 90's, and has a choir on it. He was asked, I'm pretty sure in our closing session, why this was a bonus track. He said it was just THAT big of a song - so big that it just didn't ever fit on any of his previous albums, and that it was his favorite of the new songs. He talked about how he always puts his favorites last, and the 2 disc CD will have Disc 1 ending with "The Dance," and Disc 2 ending with "Leave a Light On."

--------------------------------------------

Joyce,

Someone told me to come here after I read what was copied from your blog onto another site about my new Garth song Midnight Sun that I cowrote with Garth and Jerrod.

I'm sorry you chose to erase that blog cause it was very well written, and I enjoyed it very much. That was very kind. It is a fun song and one that I love very much, and I am extremely honored to be a part of this Ultimate Hits package.

I know you were at my #1 party for Good Ride Cowboy sitting at the table when we were taking questions from radio, but I did not know which one you were or I would have said hi to you.

Thanks for your kind words and here is hoping that Midnight Sun does become the hit that you believe it will be. More than a memory was cowritten by our buddy Lee, and he too is a huge Garth fan that just had his dreams come true like we have. I believe it is an amazing song, well written, and will do very well. So I wish him the best, and keep an eye out for Jerrod you will be hearing much more from him very soon!!!

I agree Leave a Light on is a masterpiece and a wonderful song that can rank up there with all the timeless songs Garth has done throughout the years. Thank you to you and XM for playing both my songs Good Ride Cowboy and That Girl is a Cowboy it meant the world to us to have two Garth singles last year.

Don't Just Dream...
Believe!!!

Richie Brown

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

So glad you did this, J. Great compliment both to you and your work. :)

Anonymous said...

Richie! I am so excited for you and Jerrod! As impatient as I am with the Chris Gaines project and the music industry in general these days, this is the best news I've heard in awhile! I'm gonna take Garth's advice and dig alittle deeper into the old stuff too thru this project. I could use a bone-marrow transplant after the last 5 years "working" the music for "free" myself, so I thank you for the much needed donation!! I'm looking forward to it! See ya around!

Love one another(with Garthlike passion) ~Dale

Anonymous said...

Thanks for reposting this, J. I hadn't read it yet and enjoyed it a lot.

Anonymous said...

this is awesome. Very cool Richie Brown came and read and comment on your blog!! I'm patiently waiting to hear the song :)

Pam said...

Wish the 4 new songs were available on iTunes.

Anonymous said...

Stop whining about iTunes. Pay the extra 7 dollars and get the songs ($11 - 4 for what you would spend at iTunes.). And hell, he is throwing in a great DVD, too. You should go through life a little more positive. You are probably a big liberal who thinks everything is doom and gloom.

I am a free market guy, so I say: If you want it, buy it. If you don't, don't buy it.