Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Preview of 7 Questions...

LOL - these two aren't going to count towards the 7, but I thought I'd tackle them this afternoon while my computer is sitting here running another program.

From Sharon:

Like Garth - but .... it's not all about Garth my dear.....What did you wear to this shindig? he he

Silly girl! You made me laugh so I'm answering your question first. :-P I wore these cool embroidered sparkly blue jeans that I bought for the occasion (Delaynie helped me pick them out!) , a brown sleeveless shirt and boots. I'm hoping to get my hands on the photos the Big Machine photographer took of me and his Garthness soon.

From Lisa:

How did they choose who got to go to G-R-S? I was told there's 5 that work at XM-16... and they always give out 4 passes to each station.

Lisa my dear, there's so much bad info you were given, I'm not sure where to start. Except to ask where on earth you heard that? LOL

First off, there aren't anywhere close to five people who work at Highway 16. There's Jay Thomas, Music Director and on-air talent, who's the only full timer exclusive to Highway 16. Jon Anthony, Sr. Program Director over both 16 and 17 (US Country) and then Amy Paige, who's a contracted part time air talent. And then there's me, E.P. for Nashville - I work with 10, 12, 14, 16, 17. So splitting Jon in half, crediting Amy as a half, and dividing me by 5 we have like... 2.2 bodies on that channel. :-D

I have never been to ANY event that I got into because they sent 4 (or any other number) of passes to the station. Sounds like something they'd do back home in Peoria to get the jocks to the county fair or something, music industry events sure aren't EVER handled that way, let alone "always." And anything that was ever "always" done a certain way, certainly wasn't done that way for this event!

Each of us who were invited got a personal phone call from someone at Big Machine, inviting us, giving the details, and asking for a verbal committment. In our case it was the director of National Promotion - local radio stations probably got calls from their regional rep. There was never any sort of anything put in writing - which as a scrapbooker, kind of bums me out that there isn't an invitation to keep, LOL.

What I was told was that they were inviting "key people" in country radio. Three of us at XM got invited - each with our own phone call - me, Jon, and Jay. Our competitor had 1 person there, two of the Nashville stations each had 2 people present. So I don't think there was any sort of set rule for how many people from any given radio outlet were invited. There were about 175 who attended from around 100 different radio stations, I was told.

Perhaps someday Highway 16 will have five people working on it. Post-merger. LOL

The official 7 Answers are coming tomorrow! I'm printing the questions in about an hour, so if you haven't gotten one in, get it done before I leave the studio today!

5 comments:

darrell24 said...

When do you think we will hear anything further about the Wal Mart appreciation concert or the concept that Garth spoke of "bringing it on a large scale locally"?

Thanks,
Darrell

Anonymous said...

When I grow up I want to work at Highway 16! :P

You guys got 3 invites cause you rock!

Anonymous said...

I am willing to quit my job and work for Kenny Chesney for free if it means no one will ever be subjected again to his press releases.

The latest one is one of his worst in quite some time. The first sentence is enough to induce vomit.

UURRRRGGGGHHHHHHHHHHH

Unknown said...

Were there any radio stations from the east coast

MO:)

Anonymous said...

Mo, according to an email I got from WKLB, Mike Brophey, the program director, was there. I don't know about WCTK.

Paula