Thursday, August 30, 2007

Ok, I get it now.

Not that I really doubted it, but wow -- got to see the Entertainer of the Year in action tonight. I was impressed. And make no mistake, there ARE country music fans in NYC! The Garden was rockin'!
It was cool to meet a bunch of subscribers tonight. I worked a booth on the concourse and was totally amazed at how many people that came up had XM. Since I was out there I didn't get to see Pat Green (who I've seen before) and Sugarland (who I haven't.) Everyone said Sugarland was great - and apparently, they do a countrified Beyonce song in their show. I couldn't name you a non-countrified Beyonce song, but I'm sure it was fun. I'm told Kristian sings Jon's parts on "Who Says You Can't Go Home" and sounds great.

I made it out for the last part of Kenny's show, and was blown away by MSG. The place was filled to the rafters. His stage is amazing -- loved the video screens, I spent half the night watching what they were doing with them. As a former jumbotron director, I can't imagine how you go about doing what they did.

It was quite the party on stage, a bunch of NY Yankees came out, including Roger Clemens and Johnny Damon. Maybe it was because we had awesome seats, but I thought Kenny did an incredible job of connecting with people. He gave away 2 guitars he (and the Yankees) signed for kids, including a boy in a UT Vols shirt and hat that Roger pulled out of the audience and carried around stage. Like that wasn't prize enough? At the end he signed a bunch of autographs while the band was jamming to an REO Speedwagon tune.

Anyway, what I saw of it was a great show - hit after hit after hit. He didn't do any new music - or the current single - while I was out there.

Jon and I got a picture taken with him backstage, so I now have proof that I'm taller than he is. He's got the cooler ride home though.

Heading home tomorrow afternoon, but not until Heather and I go up in the Empire State Building!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

He's definitely about "entertainment". Didn't his show kinda remind you of Garth's (minus those video screens :P )? That's what I kept thinking when I saw him a couple of years ago.

Anonymous said...

Great to hear you had a good time! Even though I'm not a big Kenny fan, I'm sure he does a awesome show. Something must drag all those people to his concerts. :)
I wonder how tall (small) he actually is...

Producer J. said...

Well I'm 5'8", and he was just a scotch shorter than I am, so I'd guestimate he's 5'7" in his boots.

He definitely ran around the stage like Garth did - I had a moment where I wondered what it would be like to see Garth now, with the technology that's advanced since he retired.