Friday, August 17, 2007

Party #1: Welcome to GRS

I had this really long detailed blog written about the Big Machine Welcome Party tonight, and blogger ate it. Ugh!

So I'll skip right to the highlights:

- Food was fabulous

- About 100 radio stations in town for GRS. Which means lots of big radio voices, polos with station logos on them, and bad toupees. Thank you Lord for delivering me from local radio.

- Saw Trisha's new video. Shot outside Clarksville, TN in an abandoned mill. Production kept being halted by tornados and bats.

- Heard 2 new songs from Trisha's forthcoming album. One was an uptempo that Scott Borchetta said was a contender for the 2nd single, I think it was called "Falling." It was about falling in love. The other one I actually liked better, one of those soaring power ballads she just nails, called something like "It's Me You're Talking To."

- Danielle Peck is engaged, furthering the family feeling of Big Machine... she will someday be a Borchetta too.

- When talking to someone at the label about Danielle's engagement, they said label policy is to not put out releases on their artist's personal lives. That might get a tad tricky now that their two biggest stars are married to each other, eh?

- Taylor Swift has a 6 song Christmas cd that will be released exclusively through Target. We heard some of it tonight (Christmas in August!) including "Santa Baby" and a complete re-arrangement of "Silent Night" that Taylor herself did. Is there no end to this girl's talent?

The entertainment tonight was a band on Big Machine called KingBilly. The funny thing was, there was a guy hanging around the party tonight with an old Garth concert t-shirt on. He was taking photos, tuning the guitars, sitting on the stage... we all were kind of laughing about this guy in the Garth shirt... who was obviously the roadie.

Turned out he was the band's lead singer! And he put the shirt down front of the stage while they performed. 6 member band, but about as far as you can get from the sound of Diamond Rio, LOL. They had a banjo, but also a guy in dreadlocks. Wish this picture was better.


Got to get some sleep... long day tomorrow... Scott described it as "historical." Will update you when / if I can. And at the rate blogger is (NOT) co-operating with me tonight, who knows when that might be!

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

And so it continues!!
Thanks Joyce!!

Anonymous said...

thank for all the hard work, can't wait to see what tomarrow brings! Big day

Anonymous said...

I'm so jealous you saw Ms. Hot Stuff's vid! The parts they've shown look amazing. She looks amazing!

Have a great day tomorrow...and remember, I'm a text message away! :P

You're the best, J. :)

Anonymous said...

Awesome J!
Thanks for updating us! :)

Anonymous said...

very cool that you got to experience some Trisha stuff...I love her ballads too bad they don't usually do well at radio...what kind of food??? can you tell that I am hungry

thanks, enjoy tomorrow

Anonymous said...

Thanks again, J. I hope tomorrow will be cool.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for all the updates J. You're probably up and getting ready for the big day today...enjoy and I'm looking forward to reading your blog when you return.:)

Unknown said...

All I gotta say is:

WOOT!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the updates. Can't wait to hear what else you are able to share. I can smell road trip...have put my calendar on hold until something definitive is announced.

I gather from the lack of a significant mention (since I'm sure you would have considered it a highlight :)) that neither Trisha nor Garth were in attendance.

Can't wait for Trisha's upcoming CD on BM...also got an email from her former label about the GH CD they are distributing that was mentioned earlier on Planet Trisha, with the two "new" songs.

So, I guess Danielle is no longer dating one of our Red Sox players.

...and maybe you need to defect to wordpress.com.

...and Sandi! I thought for sure you'd be in Nashville for the Opry!

Paula

Producer J. said...

Food - blue marlin, some delicious marinated steak, grilled vegetables, a frou frou salad, and raspberry mousse for desert.

No other Big Machine artists in attendance, which surprised me.

Trisha did look amazing in the video.

No cell phones or cameras allowed in GRS. But I'll take good notes.

FYI the press conference is scheduled to run 30 minutes. If it goes longer than that, our lunch gets delayed, LOL

Anonymous said...

hmmmm, well in this case I think we want to see Garth so much that we wouldn't be offended if it goes over! :) :)

Anonymous said...

I wanted to add that I've been seen that band Kingbilly at several clubs around Nashville over the past year or so. I think they're a really talented group of young guys. Their original material is very good. I'm so happy that they've been signed and got to be a part of Garth's big thing. Best of luck to them!