Wednesday, March 05, 2008

Translating that Blog

Well I get bonus points for attempting to Audio Blog from CRS. Jeepers.

When I walked up to the convention center it was about 9:40, and outside the artist entrance there were 3 fans waiting there, one had a KC Hoodie on. I said "Isn't he here yet?" and they hadn't seen him. I'm guessing they didn't get there early enough. Hopefully they caught him on the way out.

At any rate... as you might have heard from my audio blogging, Garth was very clear that this session was "OFF THE RECORD." He talked about going round and round with his publicist about not letting "press" in. I'm not sure what he considers press, because I know that lots of media outlets register for CRS, and are completely entitled to attend all sessions. This came up when he gave out one pretty juicy tidbit which the tabloids would have a field day with, so I understood. "Off the Record" means just that in my book, so out of respect for that, I'm not going to report on the things he said. Although I do have a full page of notes I will leave in my will to someone, LOL.

I can report, however, that he was wearing a blue Wrangler hoodie, faded blue jeans, and the white cowboy hat. He was very nervous and very uncomfortable. I personally got a lot more out of GRS last August, and thought Melinda Newman did a better job leading the session, much as I love Gerry House.




Read this body language!


They did a drawing where they picked one attendee by the draw of a business card to go up on stage and sing with Garth. As cool as that sounds... quite honestly I'd have rather gotten the time it wasted to hear Garth talk some more. The winner was a small town Georgia guy, who decided he was going to put it all on the radio... and we had to sit around and wait while he called the station, they tracked down the on air guy... waited until a song was done... blah blah blah. When you only have 50 minutes of Garth... that was 10 minutes wasted, in my book. Cool for him, don't get me wrong. But not so great for the rest of us.

Anyway... as I texted Sandi earlier, I had gotten a glimpse behind the curtain of the band setup, so I knew what was coming. They started off this guy and Garth, the 2 of them and Garth's guitar, for the opening verse of FILP. Then of course, they hit the chorus, the curtains open, and voila -- Stillwater is there! I wonder when the last time was that Garth performed FILP without the 3rd verse. It seemed odd without it! After that he did "Callin' Baton Rouge," "Much Too Young" and "The Dance."

Although I can't report on what WAS said, I can tell you what WASN'T. As you may know, "Workin' For A Living" has peaked and they stopped working it. What I wanted to learn, and didn't, was if there would be another single.

As a side note... along with the interview and performance, I enjoyed the most amazingly fabulous blueberry muffin.

I think that's it. I've got a dinner with John Michael Montgomery tonight and then the soiree with the Mrs. Hoping to pop by a Trace Adkins thing after that.

9 comments:

Jona said...

Wow, thank you!! I love the updates from CRS. I'm very curious about what you don't share. But I totally understand that you can't.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the Garth updates J! Wish I knew the "juicy tidbit" too, but if Garth says it off the record. Hope ya have great time tonight @ the other events!

Paula said...

Thanks for the updates. You ROCK!

...and I had no problem understanding what you said on the audio blog. I found it amusing that one of the words they were unable to translate was "blogger".

Paula

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much for keeping us updated. Thank you also for your tremendous respect for that cowboy's wishes. You're a class act, Miss J!

Have a blast tonight and find some sleep sometime!

Unknown said...

You rock J! Thanks for all the CRS updates! I would love to know the Garth "juicy tidbit," but you are a class act. As a hopeful future country journalist I totally respect that! Hope you are enjoying CRS week!

Anonymous said...

Sheesh why even open his mouth if he isn't going to share with everybody? If he was in my classroom, he'd be in the corner. ROFL

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the updates J. Wow, you have a busy evening, hope you have a great time!

Main said...

Cool update. Although it is of course horrible that we don't know what Garth shared with you guys. But I guess it will come out sooner or later. Just don't forget to put your notes in your will! ;-) :p

Main

Anonymous said...

I am so behind in reading/listening because of a busy week. I am really enjoying this!!THANKS bunches J! :)