Monday, March 24, 2008

Update on The M Word

WASHINGTON (Dow Jones)--The U.S. Department of Justice Monday approved a $4.4 billion merger between Sirius Satellite Radio Inc. (SIRI) and XM Satellite Radio Holdings Inc. (XMSR), ending more than a year's speculation as to whether the deal would be allowed to go ahead.

The Department of Justice's antitrust division said in a statement it had concluded that a merger between the only two satellite radio companies posed no harm to competition.

The approval removes a major regulatory hurdle to the deal going forward, it now requires the green light of the Federal Communications Commission.

Just gonna say this while I still can, without risk of getting fired.... ;-) Our country programming kicks their country programming's ass. And that's been fun.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'll agree about country channels. I have Sirius through DirecTV....the playlists seem incredibly small. And the unique programming that Highway 16 offers is so much better.

The one thing I'm hoping for is for compatability of the current systems . The XM came factory in my truck, and I don't want to have to add components to still get the service.

And to be able to have NASCAR back, and add NFL would be great.

Paula said...

Well, I sure hope the country programming stays as awesome and diversified as it is now, if not more so. I'm not so sure that the lack of competition between satellite choices is going to be a good thing for the consumer.

Paula

Anonymous said...

I'm hoping the same thing Zack is. I really don't want to have add anything to the dashboard of my truck to still get XM.

And I'm thrilled to be getting NASCAR back !!!!

Producer J. said...

All existing radios will work with their existing service.

http://www.xmradio.com/merger/promise.xmc

DaveBrz said...

Oh well. I just don't like this merger. Time will tell.

Anonymous said...

As much as I am excited about NASCAR - I just hope to heck the country programming stays the same... as well as my favorite country producer. :)

And now I guess I can buy that new radio I've been eyeing... ugh.

Anonymous said...

I had Sirius for a few years and switched over to XM when I got my new car... there is no comparison between the country programming. XM is light years ahead of the game - SO much better. I hope it continues!

Anonymous said...

Your programming DEFINITELY kicks ass!!!! :)

And btw---what competition?

---->me, who can finally take a shower!

Anonymous said...

We have sirius on our tvs at home and I listen to xm through aol. Xm is soooooo much better!! Agreed!

Anonymous said...

I just got a new Ford Edge with Sirius...
ALL the programing stinks.. Unless you like Elvis enough to listen 24/7!!

Producer J. said...

oh no... joann has gone over to the dark side....

I actually do like Radio Margaritaville.

Anonymous said...

LOL BELIEVE me not on purpose!!

I'll have to try Margaritaville!!
Been listening to UH CD's!!