Monday, October 29, 2007

169 minutes and 39 seconds

That's how long the Garth episode of ShortCuts is - without the 3 unreleased songs which we don't yet have. And it took me at least that long to put it together in the evil GROUP function. For a typical, 12 song episode of ShortCuts it's probably about 8 hours of work that goes into it. This show was easily twice that. Part of it was the fact that there are 34 songs in it, and part of it was the hoops we had to jump through with the structure of the show, because Garth wanted to be sure that there couldn't be any clean recordings of the music made.

Y'all will recall I warned you that his Garthness was concerned that people would be recording and file swapping radio shows. Told ya nicely not to post around the internet if you were planning to do such a thing.

I hate to say I told ya so, but by golly, I tried to tell you so. And unfortunately, I was proven right.

Today we were told - along with everyone else that has album programming set to launch this weekend - that no one is getting the 3 new songs until the cd hits stores. No one. Not AM. Not FM. Not XM. Not Sirius. Not syndication. He's changed his mind - 2 weeks after cutting all this programming. There's a continent full of album premiere specials being advertised that are going to have nothing but old music. Believe me, had we not had promos on the air and our newsletter gone out to 8 million subscribers, I'd have flip flopped his show with his wife's.

Our one saving grace is that our content outside of the new music, completely rocks. You're still going to hear him talk about the videos - and yes the reports out of Germany are true - the KC shows, his songwriting, his kids, his wife, George Jones, Steve Wariner, etc. etc. etc. You'll even hear him talk in depth about these new songs. I stand behind our content completely KICKING ASS.

However, on this weekend's run, you're only going to hear snippets of the new songs. We haven't quite figured out how to explain that since the show has already been cut. Fortunately - another benefit to XM over FM - we'll re-run the show Thanksgiving weekend - and undoubtably beyond - with the complete songs. Poor FM guys don't get a second chance.

I don't have a clue about how this is going to affect our 3 part series, which is not completed yet, because 3 songs out of an hour long show is a big huge chunk. And the dominoes continue to fall -- Jon and I were supposed to go to KC on the 5th for Opening Night and be reporting live from the Sprint Center - we have plane tickets and hotel reservations.

However, that means I'd on a plane coming home Tuesday at the time the CD would allegedly be arriving at the studio, and even under the best of circumstances, it would be a tight turnaround to get it on the air. I think I'll stalk the WalMarts here and make sure they didn't mistakenly put it out early. If y'all see one in the states, do let me know, ok?

I'm trying not to stress about all this. (My husband meeting me at the door with a mixed drink tonight helped...) Gotta BELIEVE. It's gotten me this far.

Did you hear the Faith Artist Confidential? There were a couple of things that tickled me. One of which was hearing my name in the credits, a first for me on AC. The other was hearing our very own Paula get a question asked via email during the show -- she sent one in response to my blog posting. Yay Paula! That led to a really good bit of info!

Tomorrow, after dealing with the Garth mess, my mission is to finish that mysterious Carrie Underwood Show #7. And then I'll come tell y'all about it. Probably with another drink in hand.

16 comments:

Skywise said...

Joyce--I know I mentioned something on PG about wanting to record the show you were doing if able- I think I made a huge error in doing so- I cannot take the fact that I did that back, but I want to ask for your forgiveness for doing so and apologize to you for doing it. I wasn't meaning any harm to anyone, and I know that may not amount to anything at the moment- please accept my apologies for any stress I may have caused you in this.

(skywise)

thank you for the awesome blog as well.... it's something I've grown to read all the time

Anonymous said...

Wow, I can understand Garth wanting to protect his music. Still having snippets of the song is great.

Anonymous said...

The dominoes continue to fall. :)

Pam said...

Whatever.

I won't be able to listen to the Shortcuts on Friday. This weekend is the Air Show here on Base and Friday night is the big kick off. Concert with Cross Canadian Ragweed. There is a reception and dinner before the show with the band and some wounded soliders.

UGH Couldn't they have gotten Craig Morgan or Rodney Atkins or Ty England or Neal McCoy.

Pam said...

Or even better TRENT WILLMON !!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Sorry about the mess and the stress. Hopefully, someone will change his mind and the show will go on as scheduled. In any event, I'm sure it will rock as usual.

How did I miss hearing your name in the credits.:( That was pretty cool hearing her response to my question. The show was a good one.

Paula

Frank Strovel III said...

SIRIUS is giving its Prime Country channel up to Garth for two weeks beginning next week. All Garth, new (well, except those 3 tracks) and old 24/7 for two weeks.

Producer J. said...

Actually, it's not Garth 24/7... it's Garth soundbites a few times an hour amongst their regular programming. They cut their stuff the same day we did.

Fortunately for them, they aren't doing a complete album special with any sort of extended conversation. ("More than A Memory" dropped off their playlist weeks ago - which as much as I love Scott and Al, I just can't understand) And they were starting later, so they won't be hurt as badly by not having the new music.

I sat through a LOT of other programming he cut that day... which is another reason I'm so proud of the shows we have. It blows everything else I've heard out of the water.

I just finished creating our snippets.... :40 seconds of each song for this weekend's ShortCuts. Finished show is going to be 172 minutes, so eat before it starts Friday. Or order pizza.

And now that I've heard all the music again, in the quiet of a studio, instead of the loud noise of a party....
.
.
.
.
.
Midnight Sun is STILL my favorite.

Anonymous said...

J- I'm confused- is the entire show on Highway 16 beginning at 6:00? I'm going to sign up for a trial subscription so I can hear this, but I want to make sure Id on;t miss any of it if its on other channels as I'm unfamiliar with XM

Anonymous said...

How do you decide what part of the song becomes a snippet? Is it your favorite part, the part that stands out the most, what? :)

Producer J. said...

Well... if I was NOT an XM subscriber... but wanted to check out this AMAZINGLY AWESOME programming... here's what I'd do.

Friday night by 6pm ET I'd go to AOLRadio.com and listen to the free stream of Highway 16. Then I'd hear Highway 16 ShortCuts -- all 172 minutes of it. If Friday night at 6 doesn't work you have additional chances Saturday morning at 10am, Sunday night at 6pm, and Monday morning at 10am. All times Eastern.

Now. The Tuesday programming gets trickier, because they wanted it to stagger across the XM Country Neighborhood. (hoops, hoops, and more hoops.) So Tuesday morning you could sign up for the 3 day trial online. And then listen to The Ultimate Hits - Relived:

11am on XM 10 (1989 - 1993)
Noon on XM 17 (1994 - 1999)
1pm on XM 16 (2000 - new stuff)

Each show will be an hour or less (haven't, um... built them yet) so that they don't cross over into the next show. Part 3 will definitely be less, because obviously, he didn't have many ultimate hits in that time frame. I'm thinking it will be 30 minutes.

If the weekday airing doesn't work for you, I'm playing all 3 episodes back to back Saturday the 10th, at a time I can't currently remember, on XM 17, US Country. Garth's "home" channel.

Now. If you're an AOL Subscriber you get ALL the XM channels on the higher quality stream by clicking on the headphones on the top bar of your AOL program and going to the Music section.

The free stream at AOLRadio.com is a lower bandwidth, so if you're not an AOL subscriber and you have 2 email addresses, you might just sign up for 2 separate 3 day trials online.

And then, after you've spent 6 days with XM and just have to get your very own radio before Trisha's album premiere the following weekend, then ask me for my Friends & Family discount. :-)

Anonymous said...

I'm sure the show will be great anyway. I will be listening, even though I should be trying to sleep at that hour. I can sleep at the plane the next day ;)

Producer J. said...

The song snippet answer is really just going with my gut, it's like any other element of the show, I had to go with what I felt fit best. What I hate is those snippets on Amazon where you get something that fades out mid sentence.

I signed my life away this afternoon agreeing not to air more than :40 seconds worth of any song before Tuesday. So my personal mission was to find :40 seconds of completeness, that didn't chop off mid sentence, and gave you the "gist" of the song.

Midnight Sun was the easiest. It's catchy and well structured and all tied up neatly in one little package. Did I mention I love this song?

Workin' For A Living also turned out good I thought, a part where you heard both Huey and Garth. To be honest, I was surprised in both of these how big of a chunk :40 turned out to be.

Leave a light on doesn't really have a catchy chorus, and it was challenging to fit the impact of this song into a snippet. But I found a part of a verse that perfectly illustrated his point he was making about the fans going into the song. So I went with it, although I'm not sure the lyric "Leave a light on" actually made it to the snippet.

Y'all can let me know if you think I snipped wisely. LOL

Anonymous said...

Cool. I can't wait to hear them! :)

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much J for explaining about XM on aol...really looking forward to this! Wayne's thinking of buying me an XM radio for Christmas.:)

Anonymous said...

J- thanks so much for the info. My closest friend has AOL, is a GB fan and I'll bring a bottle of wine and we're listening together!