Thursday, October 25, 2007

Totally 80's

Delaynie and I do this thing every couple of months that we started back when she was a wee munchkin, that we call "Girl Slumber Parties." No boys (daddy's) allowed (unless they're going to wait on us hand and foot.) We sleep on the sofa sleeper, stay up late watching movies, eating junk food, painting our nails, talking, and just being girls.

Our Girl Slumber Parties always have some sort of theme... about a zillion of them have been around one or more Disney Princesses. Fortunately we've outgrown that. We've done Lion King... assorted colors (think pink!), wolves, and of course, Hannah Montana etc. etc. etc.

When we were in Illinois a couple of weeks ago, my mom gave me a bunch of my old school yearbooks. Delaynie, who loves looking through her own yearbooks, got a complete kick out of them, and tried asking me a ton of questions about photos as I was driving down the interstate.

So, to make up for being the absentee mother lately, and relieving some of the guilt over working last Saturday and this one, I told her we'd Girl Slumber Party on Friday night. Our theme: Totally 80's.

So. Help me out. How can I help a 10 year old re-live a decade she never lived through to begin with?

Music is easy... we've got an 80's channel on XM.

TV / Movies gets a little trickier (remember, she's only 10, so no Brat Pack movies) but she has several seasons of Full House on DVD, so I think we'll be ok.

For food I want to do microwavable food -- one of my biggest cooking memories was when we got our microwave in 1979. Not sure what exactly that would be. (popcorn gets stuck in her braces.) I also have fond childhood memories of Banquet fried chicken. LOL Any distinctive drinks from the 80's?

I think we definitely need some big hair going on. I wonder if we can make our own legwarmers out of Gary's socks or something. What else?

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Fringes sprayed to stand vertically with really badly fuzzy permanent waves; sweatshirts with the necklines cut out jaggedly; the afore mentioned leg warmers; tunics and leggings (shudder). Sheena Easton and Bonnie Tyler...nuff said.


The Comodores...Ice Vanilla, or whatever the white 'rapper' was called....MC Hammer....really how ridiculous was that bit?? I listened to 'southern rock' and/or country then.


Late 80's Garth and the class of 89.


The odd little old men with the fruity wine coolers.


Really crap telly, Alan Partridge and such, though I did like St Elsewhere and Hill Street Blues. I started watching mostly non-fiction telly in the 80s and still do.

DaveBrz said...

80's costumes http://www.teengirlclothing.com/80s-costumes.html

Anonymous said...

Oh, I love the 80's :D The big hair. the colors, both the light colors and the neon colors. Levi's 501 was very popular here. And Ball sweaters. Bleached jeans, ripped jeans...
The Smurfs, Rubiks cube, Garfield. The soap operas: Dynasty, Falcon crest, Dallas.
Breakdance.
Band Aid - Live aid. Thriller with Micheal Jackson.
I think I could go on and on ;)This was what it was like in Norway.

Anonymous said...

Pop rocks!! :D And don't forget the soda. :P

Wasn't Tab big then, too? And the Jane Fonda workout? LOL

Main said...

Clothes: Huge shoulder padding! Long shirts (I used to wear my dad's), big, elastic belts and leggings.

Food: Hubba Bubba bubblegum.

TV: "FAME!"

Anonymous said...

I don't remember last week, never mind the 80's. That wasn't my decade. :p

Anyway, I vote for you as being the coolest mom ever! Delaynie is going to have the greatest memories to look back on.

Paula

Producer J. said...

OMG -- anyone else having vicious flashbacks????

You guys are the BEST!

Ryan said...

I was born in 1984. My first distinct memory of the 80s was watching the fall of the Berlin Wall on tv.

Ryan said...

yeah definitely work something Cold War related in there...

Anonymous said...

LOL, J I graduated uni in 1980, and this thread is definately a flashback!!

Anonymous said...

Probably too late now, but I got the new issue of Rachael Ray's magazine and she has a couple pages on how to throw a party with an 80's theme. There's lot of music suggestions, even tips on big hair and of course munchies!

Karen