Tuesday, October 09, 2007

Laughing with the Stars

I had intentions of writing a blog entry tonight called "The Hannah Factor." And I'll get to that content in a minute. But first... I have to tell you I watched my first episode of Dancing with the Stars tonight (not counting the Sara Evans dropout interview)... and I laughed all the way through it.

I'm sure the dancing was wonderful, but I was completely distracted by how much makeup those women wore. Seriously... I don't know how Marie Osmand could see out of those fake eyelashes. And this was a "results" show so it was basically an hour of fluff to announce who was going home. Silly soundbites, a brutally painful elimination process... really it could have been all over in 10 minutes. The musical performances were backdrops for some very uninspiring dancing... very vauge running and twirling. Kind of like the "interpretive dances" you see at some modern churches.

At any rate, I know what someone is going to say... if I think it's so easy, get out and do it myself, right? Um... no. And if I ever thought about it, I'd make sure to loose enough weight that I looked better in those dresses than some of those women did. Scary Spice indeed!

Seeing Jennie Garth though, (who did look beautiful and classy) reminded me of something that happened at an event I was at a couple of weeks ago. I'm standing there, in a crowd of people waiting for the show to begin, and someone walks up to this lady standing near me and asks "Aren't you Jennie Garth's sister?" She was. Now whether she was THAT Jennie Garth's sister, I have no idea.

Ok, so back to the entire reason I even watched 30 minutes of that trainwreck... the Hannah Factor.

Billy Ray Cyrus put out an album a couple of months ago... I think it was mostly cover songs... I don't even think I got a copy of it. He released a single, that didn't apparently go anywhere. Because it appears that it's not enough to be just Hannah Montana's Dad. You must be in the presence of Hannah to be cool. (Which would explain his sold out show at the Wildhorse Saloon - which bills a "special suprise guest" and an under 21 show - the night after Hannah/Miley performs here.) I think I've told the story of how hard I laughed when Delaynie exclaimed "Woah! Did you know Hannah Montana's dad was a country singer?"

So tonight Billy Ray and Miley/Hannah did a duet of his single... and they're servicing that version of the song to radio tomorrow. It was a good song, I even let Delaynie break the "no tv on school nights" rule to watch it. And I think it will be interesting to see what this version of the single does. Because Miss Miley is quite GarthGantuan in the tween set... and a bunch of us country music listening moms are all too familiar with Miley and her daddy.

For the record, I like Billy Ray, he's never been anything but kind to me, and it appears he's doing a great job of keeping Miley grounded despite being like... the totally coolest chick in the world to everyone under the age of 12.

But I'm done with Dancing with the Stars. I think I'll go invest in Max Factor stock.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so glad I am not the only one that does not like "Dancing with the Stars". My husband loves that show and I am always telling him they could finish in five minutes if they tried. I was just so glad that Wayne Newton finally got eliminated. He was one of the worst.

Mary Ann

Pam said...

I couldn't watch Dancing this time around..... Wayne Newton just creeps me out. LOL One too many face lifts I'm thinking.

Anonymous said...

So pleased to hear about another Garth on this blog, lol.